21 August 2009

Spicy Squash Soup



Soups are so great for many reasons. They don't take much prep time, usually just a good 15 to 20 simmering away in a pot. They're comforting. They're perfect for freezing in single serve containers for lunches.
This recipe, Ginger Butternut Lentil Soup, from LDV made enough for the two of us to have a bowl for dinner and to freeze two 2C bowls for lunches later in the month.
The recipe called for 2" ginger, but perhaps I eyeballed that wrong because it was too spicy for me. Next time I will use less ginger. I sprinkled nutmeg on top for garnish with the cilantro - that finishing touch tasted fantastic.
I made Wolffie's "Buttermilk" Corn Bread, also from LDV & I've posted about that recipe before. And because I liked them so much the first time, I also served the soup along with Sauteed Green Beans with Mushrooms from VWAV as I did just last week. While I still like these a lot, they have a strong flavor, which seemed to fight with the soup. Not a great combination. Oops!

rating: 3.5 pineapples

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave some love