16 August 2009

freaky fried 'chicken'


Are you scared yet? I was. Keep reading!

What an adventure! I must have been feeling fairly brave because I attempted LDV's Jay-Lo's Fried "Chicken" which entailed making Faux Chicken from scratch. I didn't really look at the recipe, I just thought I wanted to try my hand at it, and then found it takes a loooooong time to make!

First you start with water & vital wheat gluten, kneading it into the umm... dough? I guess you might call it. Then you prepare a broth in which they have to simmer for an hour, turning several times. Then there is an option to bake them for a half hour "for a chewier texture." Well, as I've never made these before & you saw above how creepy they looked after simmering I thought it best to bake them just incase they might have a squishy, nasty texture. When I pulled them from the oven, they basically looked the same only darker.

Afterwards I breaded and fried them, producing this:
(pardon the half-eaten state of the meal - I almost forgot to take a photo at all!)

They were... very chewy. And I had to put bbq on them; even then I only ate a few bites & passed the rest on to the bf!
On the side you can see the green beans I made - those were delicious! They're Sauteed Green Beans with Mushrooms from VWAV. I had just got a bottle of white cooking wine last night for another recipe in this book, and this one called for some too. Best veggies I've ever had. My rating below is for the freaky fried chicken, but the beans are 5 Pineapples all the way!

rating: 0 pineapples

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave some love